Friday, November 02, 2007

PMS

I am reading The Heroine's Journey by Maureen Murdock. I came across a concept about the menstrual cycle that I really liked.

In April I wrote the following post:

When does the PMS Cycle really start and end?

She (Maureen) tells of an old belief that the reason a woman stops bleeding when pregnant is that the blood is needing in creating the child. The reason a woman stops bleeding when older (menopause) is to create and give birth to wisdom. I don't have any medical confirmation that I going through early menopause. But I also don't have any medical reason why my cycle has stop despite numerous tests. The fact is that for 5 months I have not experienced bleeding.

She also goes on to describe initiation and descent to the goddess. Putting the myth aside, everything else the emotions and experience are very real for woman and I identify with them.

Now I wonder where does the concepts of the Secret fit in the idea that woman will accept suffering and willing sacrifice. Maybe they are not as opposed to each other as I think. In order to move on with your life according to the descent to the goddess you experience a stripping of yourself, pain and suffering - you stop fighting it, you instead mindfully go through the process and return assertive and strong.

I am not sure if I am making any sense. Just trying to work through these ideas.

No comments: