Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Touch Therapy

We all know the importance of being touched. Numerous scientific studies have verified what we instinctively know.

I have tried self massage - but nothing beats being massaged by some else. My personal experience is that I prefer my husbands massage to a professional massage.

I come from a family and a church which frequently hugs and kisses. Now that I am so far from them, I really miss them and that type of contact. I find myself holding back because I don' want to offend people or step in their person space. But I wonder if I am not robbing them and myself something that is important. Human touch - a sense of belonging, knowing, loving........

An article from Heal South emphasises this:

" Children and adolescents, who have been hospitalised for psychiatric problems, show remarkable reductions in their anxiety levels and demonstrate positive changes in their attitude when they receive a brief daily back rub.

In other studies, the arteries of rabbits fed a high-cholesterol diet and petted regularly had 60% fewer blockages than those of un-petted, but similarly fed rabbits. Rats, handled for 15 minutes a day during the first three weeks of their lives, showed dramatically less brain cell deterioration and memory loss as they grew old, compared with non-handled rats.

Despite all of these reasons to reach out and touch someone, we still find it difficult and often withdraw, reserving our touch for a brisk handshake or an occasional farewell embrace.

Is it possible that many of the woes of the world are simply a desperate cry for a reassuring, nurturing touch?

Could a simple hug a day keep the threat of teen pregnancy and STD’s away?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You bring up some interesting points - especially in this day and age where so many parenting "books" and supposedly "gurus" are coming up with parental advice suggesting that your newborn can "manipulate" and you should let them cry it out at the tender age of 5-6 weeks. The importance of physical touch is SO underestimated. Look at some of the orphanages in places like Russia where children are hardly ever touched and suffer from Reactive Attachment Disorder. I agree - touch is incredibly important!!!