Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hearing and CMV

Well I saw the ENT today. Good news is I have not major illness and my MRI scan was clear except around my nasal passages. I have allergies - no surprise. I am allergic to grass and a number of other inhalants. Now for the surprise I am also allergic to nuts.

In general I am not a big fan of nuts. In last month I have been craving salted cashew nuts. I have eating at least 50-100g per week. I have also been choosing museli with nuts (which is the past I would avoid or not really care). He says I should avoid eating nuts but I don't need to avoid all products that contain nuts or trace elements of nuts.

So, having removed all other possibilities one thing came up. A virus I probably got from parents, its something that we all have in us almost like Candida, Cytomegalovirus (CMV). It dormant now, but might flare again. The damage caused is also irreparable.

For now there are only two thing I can do. Improve my health, build up my immune system that is the best protection against the virus. Treat my allergies immediately.
I also need to get hearing aids.

I remember when I got my glasses it was amazing to realise what I was not seeing clearly. As much as I look forward to hearing people better and not feeling embarrassed in conversation I am also not looking forward to hearing all the noises in dormitory. The noises already irritates me.

Its funny, when I realised at age 10 that I needed to get glasses I thought that would pretty cool despite the fact that I didn't really know any other children my age who wore glasses.
I don't feel upset or afraid of the fact that I need to get hearing aids. I am not sure if there is going to be a delayed reaction. I am just happy that i know what is going on with me and that i have a plan to deal with it.

Here are some interesting facts I found:

Top 10 Top Causes of Hearing Loss in Children

The third most common pregnancy-related cause was Cytomegalovirus (CMV). CMV is very similar to rubella in how it can affect a fetus.

CMV, or cytomegalovirus (sī-to-MEG-a-lo-vī-rus), is a common virus that infects people of all ages. Once CMV is in a person’s body, it stays there for life. Most infections with CMV are “silent,” meaning most people who are infected with CMV have no signs or symptoms. However, CMV can cause disease in unborn babies and in people with a weakened immune system.

No comments: