Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ingrid Jonker Memorial at Gordon's Bay


(Taken by me)

Also known as South Africa's Sylvia Plath because of the intensity of her work and the tragic course of her turbulent life. Ingrid Jonker (19 September 1933 - 19 July 1965)

At the base of the monumnet are the words of her poem which was read by Nelson Mandela, Die kind : wat doodgeskiet is deur soldate by Nyanga) (The child : who was shot dead by soldiers at Nyanga)), in Afrikaans, during his address at the opening of the first democratic parliament on May 24, 1994.

Read the poem in Afrikaans and English: Click here

Monument in the daytime Picture by Tonymac64.Ingrid Jonker memorial


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learn something through blogging every day.
I would have never known anything about this place without you :D

Beautiful shot - the words give me the creeps though when I start thinking .... :S

Gabriel said...

Great post, Simone. Nicole is right, you never stop learning...

Happy WW!

(My post)

Indrani said...

Hey thanks for sharing this. Informative.

Carletta said...

That first shot is beautiful!

YellowRose said...

What a beautiful monument, very touching and moving.

Thanks for sharing and informing!

maiylah said...

wonderful piece of art! love the story behind it, too ... :)

jams o donnell said...

I had never heard of her before. Thanks for sharing.

Snap Catch said...

cool one for WW! mine's up too hope you can drop by.

Bela said...

thanks for sharing this.

mine is up. hope you can check it out too:

http://www.womenxplore.com/2008/04/wordless-wednesday-4-times-square-ny.html

Hootin Anni said...

Amazing. Very very interesting.

My W W is posted, a 'love interest' this week. Hope you can stop by.

Maya said...

You have a great shot but what makes it more stunning is the info about it. Bravo.
Happy WW!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Great poem & monument... it was a sad story but thank you for sharing it...

Anonymous said...

Hi Simone. Thanks for the link to my post.

It's great to see that there is such an appropriate memorial to Ingrid Jonker. If you don't mind, I'd like to direct people to this post as well.

Le Butterfly said...

Sure Dusty

Anonymous said...

Hi Simone

Marilize de Jager left a comment on my Ingrid Jonker post for you. Please let me know if you'd like to contact her, and I'll give you her email address.

And congratulations on your 600th post!

Ant said...

Wow I didn't know that existed. Do you know if the children's book "Moenie skrik nie"(see January post on: www.fleamarketheart.blogspot.com) is by the same Ingrid Jonker?