Monday, June 14, 2010

Theme a Day Journal Entry 20

If you had to evacuate your home because of a natural disaster, what three things would you take with you?

My "hand" bag - its a a small backpack and it has a few essentials in it including my wallet, passport, hand cream, headache tablets, callus protectors, lipstick, water bottle, cellphone and a pen. I HOPE that counts as one thing LOL.

Okay seriously, if I had to escape quickly my handbag does have essentials in them.
1. Cellphone has contacts for my doctor, family and friends - Alternatively I would have to make sure I had an address book with all that information in it.
2. Important documents eg. passport, driver license, insurance, birthcertifcates etc....
3. Prescription Medicines and a water bottle.

I have never thought much about this before. Growing up in South Africa the main natural disaster I experienced was a drought. I remember using bath water to water our garden and to clean the toilet.
Its always been something that happens elsewhere but i don't live in SA anymore and even SA with climate change anything can happen.
This was soemthing important to think about.

i am in the process of renewing my visa to stay in the UK and its amazing how vulnerable you are when you don;t have anything on you that can identify who you are. they have my passport, drivers license, birth certificate etc.

How to prepare for a natural disaster?

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/emergencies.jsp

No comments: