I used lemons and left out the decorating bit. Also used a ready made sweet pastry case - just because I didn't have a lot of time. Fills two pastry cases.Reminds me of cheesecake - love the texture and slight lemon that offsets the sweetness.
KEY LIME (LEMON) PIE
- over 1 hour
- Serves 8
- 250g (9oz) digestive biscuits
- 100g (3½oz) butter, melted
- 405g can Carnation Condensed Milk Light
- finely grated zest and juice of 5 large limes
- 300ml carton double cream
- 30g (1oz) bitter chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
- 6-8 thin lime wedges and slivers of zest
You will also need:
- 20cm (8”) loose-bottomed cake tin, greased
- To make the base, blitz the biscuits in a food processor until they are like fine crumbs and then combine with the melted butter. Press the mixture into the base and 4cm (1½") up the sides of the tin. Chill the base while you make the filling.
- Whisk together the filling ingredients until thick and creamy. Spoon over the biscuit base and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the pie from the tin and place on a serving plate. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and leave to set. Before serving, decorate with the lime wedges and the zest.
This recipe can also be made with lemons – replace the limes with four lemons.