Friday, November 14, 2008

Somehow We Survive

The title of this poem grabbed me - i know its about our country but I also like to think of it as symbolic of life in general. Its a hope that no matter what tenderness will win.

Many times I think that I am tired of just surviving , I want to live - really live. I wonder if Surviving and Living is sometimes the same thing - maybe if one does not look at surviving in a negative way one can truly to see the essence of living.

This is just me muttering nonsense today (grin).

A south African poet:

Somehow We Survive by Dennis Brutus

Somehow we survive
and tenderness, frustrated, does not wither.

Investigating searchlights rake
our naked unprotected contours;

over our heads the monolithic decalogue
of fascist prohibition glowers
and teeters for a catastrophic fall;

boots club the peeling door.

But somehow we survive
severance, deprivation, loss.

Patrols uncoil along the asphalt dark
hissing their menace to our lives,

most cruel, all our land is scarred with terror,
rendered unlovely and unlovable;
sundered are we and all our passionate surrender

but somehow tenderness survive

No comments: