Thursday, November 20, 2008

Christmas

Christmas means different things to different people depending on their cultural, geograpgical and spiritual backgrounds.

I was brought to believe that Christmas is a pagan day that Christians christianized (if that is even a word). For this reason we as a family would not go to church unless christmas fell on the day we normally go to church. We would however celebrate it as a cultural holiday.

Which normally meant decorating a Christmas tree, sending out Christmas cards, waiting for the my cousins to come from church so we could have a great lunch, open up presents and play games. Oh yes and we would normally get one new set of clothes for church and one new set of casual clothes (if it was a good year) to wear on Christmas Day.

After I got married, we dropped the Christmas tree (in our home until our daughter turned 2) and decided only to get presents for our young nephews and nieces and spent Christmas Day with alternate families (one year mine and one year is if possible).

I personal don't really like Christmas music - my favourite Christmas song is "Last Christmas I gave you my heart and the very next day you gave it away" by Wham.

This year is one of the very few times I can say that I am looking forward to Christmas Holiday (I have thought this only twice before). Why? Cause I am really looking forward to being with family this year. And if I think back on the other two occasions it was also cause I really, really was looking forward to being with family.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really bothers me just how commercialized the Holidays have become. To me growing up it was about family and we still try and keep it that way but sometimes it gets tough.

Anonymous said...

I agree that there are times that Holidays became commercialized.

In our family Holidays specifically Christmas is a time to give thanks, a time to share blessing and a time to be with people you love , your family.