Friday, November 28, 2008

Love’s Philosophy

Love’s Philosophy
by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1803-1882) one of the major contributors to English Romantic poetry wrote “Ozymandias”
One of my favourite poems’. I read it a book given to me by my uncle and just fell in love with it. It is one of the poems that I have probably recited the most. It also brings back fond memories (I actually quoted to a boy and then asked him if he would like to kiss. His reply was.........of course yes):

The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean;
The winds of heaven mix forever,
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle;--
Why not I with thine?

See! the mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven,
If it disdained it's brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea;--
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

Reviews:

This is Shelley in a rare, whimsical mood. It's fairly unusual to find the poet speaking in this voice. Shelley can be difficult to appreciate, especially when he's being thrust down one's throat in high school, but I've since discovered he can be quite bearable.
Divya

I love Shelley, especially Ozymandias, but this poem doesn't do it for me. It's too soppy. Though I am sure one day I will find it fabulous. Probably when I fall in love. For now, fluff with too much sugar.
Celine

No comments: