Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Reflection on Manners

Manners,traditons, customs whats the differnce? There does not seem to be a major difference.
When I think of manners I think that many people at some stage have rebelled against at least once. Mine was carry my chair and opening my own door instead of letting the a guy or my boyfriend do it. For me it was a matter of principal from a young age. When I was seven I decided that blys had more fun and that was not fair. I determined to do things for myself and to have fun. Later on I decided I would not let my boyfriend open the car door for me because when he stopped I would read too much into it and it ruin our relationship unecessarily. But mother despaired.

I think it is quite amazing to her that I am quite "lady-like".

I have also learned to respect other peoples manners, traditons and customs and find that there are a few I actually want to observe. It makes me feel like I belong to something. It is comforting at times.

One of my favourite musicals is Fiddler on the Roof and I think that the opening song: Traditions (U-tube below) and the movie/play very nicely put into perspective that PEOPLE/RELATIONAHIPS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN manners/trations/customs - sometimes manners facilitate those relationships and other times we need to really question what is more importatnt the act or the person.




Post a Comment