Sunday, February 17, 2008

Therapeutic Writing

"the greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings, by changing
the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."
William James

I am in the process of writing up and organising The 100 list swap. When I hit list number 9, I had to pause and think for a bit.
When a person sees or hears or reads we react differently to stimulus according to our own experiences and inner scripts.
Two things came to the fore for me - one that some people are going to read this swap and get upset. They are going to lash out at me.Was it rational for me to think this?
Last I organise a swap with really good intentions and it coursed quite an uproar.
The second thing that came to the fore - was that is it really going to be helpful for me to do this swap. Do I really want to make this specific. Was this a rational response?
I have experienced depression and I think it was legitimate question to ask.

After some thought I felt that organising list number 9 could be therapeutic for us who decide to do it. I remembered that three/four years ago when I finally listed all things I was doing, I realised that I was expecting too much of myself, my husband realised that he was expecting too much of us as a family. We were able to turn things around. Not only are we a closer family but we are of better service to the community we live in.

If you would like to read more about the 100 list swap go here.
If you want to know more about swap number 9 go here.

Here is an interesting article about therapeutic writing in general.

5 comments:

D Nielsen said...

i'm surprised you don't have a lot of comments since you follow!

check out my lingerie, maybe you'll like something, if you do let me know i'll get you a discount since you followed my link in your blog!

Lingerie

Le Butterfly said...

Hi Nielsen

Comment levels vary - depends on the topic.
Traffic to my blog has definitely increased.

Plus this is my 'personal' journal.

When I reward myself for my weightloss I am going to hold you to that promise promise of a discount ;-)

Lisbet said...

I have enjoyed your blog.
I might come back if I can find you again

Anonymous said...

Therapeutic writing can be a very effective way of dealing with things in your life. I tend to be a little depressed in the winter months, and keeping a daily journal is very beneficial to me.

Kris said...

Thank you for accepting me into this swap. I think I'm going to get a lot out of it, especially as I've recently discovered the whole therapeutic writing thing.

I love the bookmarks for your Buddhist friend - they're very calm and contemplative.