Monday, February 25, 2008

Fight or Flight response

I am sure you have heard of this term before. I think just about everyday this response within us is challenged. When we experience this challenge intensely or it becomes overactive we become very stressed which could lead to a breakdown physically or mentally or both.

How do you deal with it when it gets intense? Life with out a little stress , a challenge is boring.......but when you are faced with making adjustments and changes at every single turn, in every single area of your life, then it gets a bit overwhelming.

Personally I am still figuring out what works for me. Its seems to change from year to year, from situation to situation. Sometimes rephrasing my thoughts is all I need to do, other times I need to take a time out (go for a walk, listen to music etc.)..........

I think the most important lesson I have learned so far is that the world is not going to come to an end if I slow down or do not complete a specific task. I am human, I am not perfect. I am essentially good and I am trying my best.

So sometimes I need to fight, other times I need to run away and other times I need to check my thoughts and make sure I am not blowing things out of proportion (in that case all I need to do is be still).

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I need to work on dealing with stress myself. I used to use food to medicate myself, but I am not going to do that anymore. I want to use meditation and yoga to help me, but I haven't actually DONE it yet.

About ESL: I love it! I'm not a teacher by profession, but the woman who teaches the citizenship class is a professional teacher. She loves it and says it's very rewarding. She said the first class she taught to ESL students was the first time people THANKED her on their way out.

It feels good to help people. Even if it gets monotonous sometimes, the overriding feeling is one of joy.

Littleladyhead said...

I use this fight or flight statement a lot.
I suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome/anxiety panic disorder and depression. I tend to go downhill when stress starts to build and build.
I try to laugh about it because laughing is the only thing that keeps me from going crazy.
I always tell my husband that the flight has kicked in and I feel like running out the back door and jumping the fence and keep going - I then follow that statement with "but I can't leap the fence" because I am only 5 feet tall ha ha.
So, yes, fight or flight is constantly popping up.
I'm trying to learn to remember to breathe and just like you remember that I am a good person and can't be perfect.

Amy said...

Simone,

Thanks for stopping by my blog site. I really like yours, too. I know all too well about about the old fight or flight thing right now.

I love your photos and would love to visit your country some time. My priest was there fro many years and returns every chance he gets.

Cyber hugs to you, too!