Sunday, October 28, 2007

Food Cravings

I feel like my whole focus on food and my life is passing me by. But then if I give into my life will pass me by.
I don't want to be feeling sick all the time.Once these craving pass my health should get better and I can live life to the fullest.


Having said that, I am busy typing this and sipping coffee after 10 days of nada. Well I have drunk it half way - now I am going to throw it away.

So is this another caterpillar cocoon experience? Trapped until I eat the right things so that I can enter the peaceful state of being in the cocoon and emerging a butterfly. Or will I eat the wrong this go into a vegetative state and coming out moth and die a powdery death.

Craving (tanha)
The definition

"There are these three cravings. Which three? Craving for sensuality, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming. These are the three cravings."

§ 58. {Iti 3.9; Iti 50}


This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "There are these three cravings. Which three? Craving for sensuality, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming. These are the three cravings."

Bound with the bondage of craving,
their minds smitten
with becoming & non-,
they are bound with the bondage of Mara —
people with no safety from bondage,
beings going through the wandering-on,
headed for birth & death.

While those who've abandoned craving,
free from the craving for becoming & non-,
reaching the ending of fermentations,
though in the world,
have gone beyond.

How do you get through cravings? Have you tried any of these methods?

Foodcraving: understanding body signals, MSN Women

5 Minute Craving Busters, About.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with a woman today who feels she struggles with her weight. To look at her petite appearance, you wouldn't think she had a real problem. She exerted will power and only ate one cookie with her tea. Yet, she told me she feels constant cravings are a problem for her. I asked her if she realized the words she was using and the negative message she was sending herself. She was surprised to realize that she was programming herself to expect it would be hard to control what she ate and when. Raising self-awareness can help us all somehow. We should listen to ourselves.

Le Butterfly said...

So true. We tend to think in extremes. I realise I have the habit of concentrating on the negative. Now that I have stated it I can recognise it, put it away and move on.

The more I practise it - the better I am getting at it.

Anonymous said...

To recognize sources of discomfort is the first step to understanding underlying reasons. In order to truly move on, its useful to rise above undesirable mindsets. This requires that you learn to recondition your mind. No doubt you'll succeed. Mind over matter.