Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stand up, Sit Down

I saw a picture of wedding on another person's Head or Tails for this week - it made me think of church and how in some churches you are not sure when to sit or stand.
I found a poem that went in line with my thoughts:

All Souls
Here we are.
All together.
Fumbling through tradition.

Welcome all.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

Pray. Confess. Recite.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

Baptize.
Sprinkle the head.
Vow. Recite. Repeat.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

Pray.
For war. Church. Missions.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

Whats new.
Consult the scripture.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

"Turn to God."
Prostitutes. Sinners. People.
Stand up.
Sing.
Sit down.

Here we are.
All together.
Dying in tradition.
Posted by Kevin Ross


8 comments:

Gill said...

This gave me a chuckle. We went to a christening at a German church once and it was very confusing for us as they stood and prayed and sat and sang - not how we do it at all! So we spent most of the service watching everyone around us to see when to sit and when to stand, it was quite challenging! LOL!

Hootin Anni said...

For one, the Catholics, while attending church services do a lot of sitting, standing, and kneeling. When I attend, I just sit. [am I condemned?]

Mine's up! Stop by for a visit if you can...

Susan Demeter said...

Yes, I totally agree, and what a great poem! Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'm happy you like the photo of the couple. Hopefully I'll find out who they were.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been in churches like that you sit and then you stand and it just repeats it self and sometime the person behind pulpit just rattles on and say nothing.

I attend a earthy or metaphysical service they sit the entire time except when we sing hymns.

Have a great day my HoT is up.

Anonymous said...

I find it fascinating all the different rituals depending on the religion, but is sure is difficult to know what to do when you are new. Fun poem!

CJ said...

That about sums it up, doesn't it? Great post.

cjh

Anonymous said...

very stunning and true words which feels like a fantasy. I shall say, "Write something, Publish it, stand up, sing, sit down".
I hope it sounds pretty good.

Anonymous said...

This poem does fit the theme this week. I think sometimes we get so caught up in tradition, that is all we see when we go to church. The church I attend is totally different. We stand at the beginning to sing and then sit...only to stand occasionally if the pastor wants us to walk around and greet each other. We may stand at the end if there is another song but that is about it.

My stand or sit, is about House Sitting

-Bev