Thursday, July 10, 2008

Shopping and Upcoming Baking Adventure

I dropped Jeandre' off at the Banbridge leisure centre for their summer program. Then I went shopping at Tesco. I was there for 2hrs. I think i know where to find most things. There are at least 2 isles i avoid, alcohol as I don't drink and the meat aisle. While we are not vegetarian, we hardly eat meat and I am pretty fussy about what I do eat. So we will avoid meat till we settle down or maybe become vegetarians.

I want to make milk tart. We are going to a Barbque tomorrow night. Our hostess likes milktart and has had many South African friends. We forgot her koeksisters in South Africa, so I need to make up. The only thing is I could not find custard powder in Tesco, not sure if I will find it here. Now I can make milktart without it. Being overseas forces me to cook traditional dishes I would normally buy or get from a friend. My other challenge is that I have only made milktart 3 times in my entire life. The first 2 were 10 years ago when I was Au Pairing in the USA.

Will let you know how it turns out. Not sure I can promise photos. My husband is still setting up the laptop.

1 comment:

Gill said...

I am in awe at how quickly you are integrating into life in Ireland. I'm sure your positive attitude is going to help so much. If you have a problem with the milk tart let me know as I have a really nice recipe for one without custard powder.