Monday, May 05, 2008

Do Coloured People have a Culture?

I am really happy to have found a place that is doing something positive for coloureds in South Africa - giving us a space for discussion, expression - an outlet.

MIXED WORLD
– your gateway to a world of colour

Well done Rory and Lester!

Lester and I were in the same class from std 5 (grade 7) to matric (grade 12).

Do Coloured People have a Culture?
Written by Rory Voller
Wednesday, 23 April 2008 07:27

The dictionary definition of culture is simply “the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another”.

Do we have certain mannerisms, behaviours that are common that we have inherited from generation to generation. Definitely. We may not have a long-standing and defined culture but we most certainly do have culture. In fact, our culture and heritage stands longer than that of the White Afrikaner. We may not have our own religion and rituals but this in no way implies that we have no culture and by spending more time on this site you will find out the extent and diversity of our culture.

2 comments:

vandré said...

I'm doing an assignment about my culture.I'm a coloured and i can't find any info about my culture or what they do, can you pls help me......

Le Butterfly said...

Hi Vandre - email me at coetsers@gmail.com I will see how I can help.
Where do you live?