Monday, June 18, 2007

Developing People Through Libraries







Yesterday I represented my school at a Library conference - 8am -5pm. I have no responsibilities in our school library. In fact our school library is not functional at the moment.

I love libraries. It's one place I really feel at home.

I would plan expeditions to the town library just for fun. The Durban Library is housed in the City Hall which includes the Natural Science Museum and Art Gallery. Just round the corner is small History museum. I would pretend to be a student doing research. Sometimes fooled people into thinking I was older.

The year I turned 15, our local library finally opened, right next to my High school
(Hillview Secondary).





When I really feel stressed, spending an hour or two in the Library helps calm me.

One of the first things I do when I move to a new place, is find out where the library is.
I really loved the the Libraries in the USA, they were not only a place of refuge, but a fun place to take the kids to and my entertainment supplier. It was there I got hooked on listening to books on tape when travelling on the bus. The area in New Jersey that I lived in I had access to 3 libraries !

3 comments:

Gledwood said...

Libraries bring up very MIXED feelings for me ... for a time when I was very depressed I used to kind of end up in the university library supposed to be doing my coursework but browsing stuff that was not relevant to my course (the grass is always greener ..etc!) also the library in town ... you know how public libraries can attract nutters we used to have 3 regular visitors one saying the most disgusting things ... on the other hand I've discovered sublime, transcendently life-changing works of art in public libraries ... so they are pretty amazing places ...

and like most things in life ... a total mixed bag!!

meh said...

I'm a Library geek too!
I can spend hours and hours in one and it'll only feel like minutes!

Anonymous said...

A post so dear to my heart!!!

I am a librarian by profession and I work in a very well stocked and organised school library. I think its sad that your school library is not functional.